this is a step by step recipe for preparing izakaya corn ribs ( japanese elote )
Corn on the Cob arrives peeled, frozen (IQF), from supplier in 3" cobbettes
Step 1 - BLANCH CORN
- bring large pot of water to boil
once water is boiling
- add 24 pieces of frozen corn ( cobettes )
- cook 5 minutes
- remove corn from boiling water , set aside to cool
Step 2 - PREP MARINADE (MISO BUTTER)
- 2 lbs butter
- 1 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup miso paste
in medium sauce pan
heat all ingredients over low heat. stir with wire wisk until butter miso and mirin are combined
Step 3 - CUT
Cut the CORN into "Corn Ribs"
- cut the corn cobs into 4-6 pieces each (appx 3 rows of corn kernels), cut lengthwise ( into sticks, not rings ) use a sharp knife. be careful, the cob is very strong.
Step 4 - COMBINE
Combine the corn and the marinade while both are still warm, toss the "corn ribs" gently in the miso butter marinade
when corn "ribs" are coated on all sides remove from stainless bowl ( use tongs, gloves, etc. DON'T pour) place into 1/3 pan 4" deep label and date.
SAVE the marinade in the bottom of the mixing bowl, for next batch. label and date.
10 "ribs" per order
place on griddle or sautee until browned (very slightly burnt) on 1 side only. no need to flip over, just slightly crisp 1 side.
- togarashi powder
- cotija cheese ( maybe shaved Parmesan cheese? )
- 1/4 lime ( cut the limes into 1/4 or 1/6... for squeezing, not into wheels or 1/4 wheels )